Sunday, August 30, 2015

1 Computer Chronicles



When it comes to education I think that computers are extremely important because it seems that every aspect of life is shifting to incorporate some kind of technology and new generations need to know how to use technology and what different things you can use it for.

My main concern about teachers using technology in the classroom is that they are going to teach students how to use it instead of actually having them use it for an assignment. For instance I'm afraid that teachers would walk their students through how to do research online instead of actually having them do the research.

I agree with the issues that are presented in the chapters because I believe that it is as important for a teacher to know how to work technology as it is for them to be able to read and write, mainly because now that students are using technology the teachers have to be able to keep their attention and just using pen and paper isn't always going to do that, sometimes you need Power points with graphics.

In my classroom I hope to be able to use my computers for presentations so we can go over the information, polls so I can get their input (especially if it's a controversial topic and they want to remain anonymous), and test and quizzes so they can get their grade back fast and know how they did, without having to wait for me to grade 100 papers.

I hope that this class might teach me how to make this a possibility and show me how to go about creating these things and if not that I can use some supplemental resources to teach myself how to make this a reality.

I agree with the term "Digital Native" because just the like the Native Americans who were born in America and grew up here the "Digital Natives" were born into and grew up in the Digital Age.

A Digital Native is someone who was born into the Digital Age and has lived their life in a world of technology. They have always been around technology and cannot remember a time when it did not exist.

I haven't seen very many differences in the ways that my teachers and I use technology but I have seen a difference in skill level when it comes to working the technology, with the exception of teachers who have gone to classes and learned how to use computers and such. I have had plenty of teachers not know how to work their Powerpoint presentations and others not know how to work YouTube, and have trouble with tasks that I have no problem with. This hasn't hindered my learning in anyway I just feel like it's our job as "Digital Natives" to teach them and show them how to do something so they can learn and assimilate into this new world.

I do believe that there will be a difference in how my students and I use technology because technology is constantly advancing and since they are being born into it and grow up using it while their brains are still developing this new technology is ingrained in them where as I would already have a fully developed brain so it will be harder to learn. Much like how it is easier to learn a second language as a child compared to learning that same language as an adult.


1 comment:

  1. First, I really like how you broke your blog up into "digestible bites." These short paragraphs of 2-3 sentences are so easy to read.

    Next, your concern that teachers will walk their students through research (as an example) instead of having students engage in authentic research is a reality. Not everywhere, but I see it often, especially in library media programs. Teachers "hit the standard" but don't actually engage students in messy, time-consuming projects that realize the skills.

    ReplyDelete